WeHaKee Camp for Girls – Rich in History and Legend
The current location of WeHaKee Camp for Girls was originally a logging camp. As a result, it is home to a large concentration of beautifully tall, virgin white pine.
Beginning in the early 1920’s, legendary Notre Dame football coach, Knute Rockne operated a football camp here for a number of decades. It later became a Jewish girl’s camp named Camp Chicagami.
In the late 1950’s, the St. Louis Hawks (now the NBA Atlanta Hawks) ran a basketball camp at this location. And in 1963, then WeHaKee Director, Sister Marie Karen Hawkinson moved the camp from its location in Marinette, Wisconsin (on the waters of Green Bay) to this current site on the shores of Hunter Lake at the base of the pristine Chequamagon National Forest.
WeHaKee Camp for Girls Continues Today
WeHaKee Camp for Girls continues today at its site near Winter, Wisconsin. Girls and young women from around the country and the world attend camp each summer where they begin lifelong friendships, develop new skills, increase their confidence and self-esteem, grow in their faith, and have great fun!
The History of WeHaKee Camp for Girls
Click on a date below to see a photo or information.
With the help of two nieces and their friends, Sister David O’Leary opens WeHaKee Camp for Girls on the shores of Green Bay in Marinette, Wisconsin, and welcomes its first group of campers. Sister David O’Leary was the Camp Director.