Positive Assets of Adolescents!
In examining a selection of the assets it becomes clear how important the camp experience can be in a young person’s life. Here are just a few of the assets that a quality camp experience such as WeHaKee can provide:
- Young person receives support from three or more non-parent adults
- Young person perceives that adults in the community value youth
- Young person serves in the community one hour or more per week
- Young person feels safe
- Other adults model positive, responsible behavior
- Young person places high value on helping other people
- Young accepts and take responsibility
- Young person knows how to plan ahead and make choices
- Young person has empathy, sensitivity and friendships skills
- Young person is optimistic about her personal future
These assets are interwoven intentionally and naturally at WeHaKee and have been since 1923. As a camp director, it is exciting and very gratifying to know that the camp experience can play such a positive role in a girl’s life, but it can also have a significant impact on the communities the WeHaKee girls return to. And it is satisfying to know that the tremendous body of research done by the Search Institute supports and validates the value of going to camp each summer. It really shows that positive youth development is all about relationships and community!